1 November 2011

'Nuff Said!

[Credit]

After much consideration and deliberation, I have decided to cease from using Nuffnang. And it's final. Yep. Alhamdulillah.

It all started a few months back, when Nuffnang published a few ads in my blog which made me very uncomfortable. One of them was an ad on this movie, can't really remember which movie was it. But all the main characters were women. And err, not very decently clothed women they were. Hoh.  

And another one was this deodorant ad for men. I think it was AXE or something. And surprise surprise, rather than showing a man rolling the deodorant on his armpit, the ad chose to feature a couple of rather sexy-looking ladies. You bet I was sweating profusely, sitting uncomfortably everytime the ad was featured in this blog. 

I did write a complaint to Nuffnang telling them my blog is somewhat Islamic, that I write mainly on Islamic stuff and hence, I was feeling queasy with such ads. I asked whether they could remove the ads and if I could actually filter the ads myself. Sadly, the reply I received was a complete no-no. They told me they don't really have the say when it comes to the nature of the featured ads. I found that funny; they own the goddamn site for heaven sake!

So I was going through this dilemma; should I stop from using Nuffnang? I felt like a hypocrite; I wrote mostly about dakwah stuff, and yet the ads shown in my blog seemed to disagree with me. I was prepared to be grilled by my readers; sooner or later, some of you guys would actually protest and point that up. But I was surprised that no one actually did just that.

The prospective for side income was quite impressive though. I had read somewhere that there were some bloggers who actually earned four to five figures just from the ads featured in their blogs! Walaweh! Thus, at the end, I decided to retain the ads. I guess I just couldn't resist it. And somehow or rather, there were no more saucy and racy ads being published in my blog. It was a relief for me.

Then, a few weeks back, for the first time, I finally reached the minimum RM50.00 in order to cash the Nuffnang income out. Without giving it a serious thought, I cashed it out. I'd be lying if I tell I wasn't happy and proud of it. But somehow, the guilt came back to haunt me. I wasn't sure if the income is truly halal, let alone tayyibah. Hence, the post 'Yang Halal Itu Osem, Yang Haram Itu Macam Haram.'

Then I got this comment, coming from this particular Inche Darus Interferon, who's got the same concern. So we eventually agreed that both of us would look around for arguments for or against income earned from the internet. We were stuck; we couldn't find any dalils or writings that explicitly highlight the status of the income earned via advertising in the internet.

Not until, another reader by the name of Mar, posted a link to Ustaz Zaharuddin's article on this issue. The article can be read here. Although USZA doesn't clearly state his stand on this issue, he does provide us with very useful guidelines indeed.

And after giving it much thoughts, I finally decided that it would be best not to feature Nuffnang's ads anymore, although most of the ads are okay and well, I'd reckoned can be categorised as halal.

On the authority of Al-Numan bin Basheer, who said : I heard the messenger of Allah say :

"That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart." 
[Narrated by al-Bukhari]

You see, even though I might not have earned my income directly from those, err, rather promiscuous ads, still there were some elements of uncertainty, syubhah. So why want to let myself into trouble? I might be some day fall into His forbidden territory!

So today, with a quasi heavy heart, I officially bid you adieu, Nuffnang. And I'm confident Allah will replace you with something so much better, cooler and yes, awesome-r. Hoyeeaahhh!

Wink.

p/s: Inche Darus Inteferon, let's JV to form a surely halal- and tayyibah-version of Nuffnang, shall we..? 

-gabbana-

I still use Nuffnang's statistic service though. I thinks it's awesome and can be very useful. Hah!

7 Caci Maki Puji Muji:

Nur 01/11/2011, 18:20  

iA.. tu yg terbaek~

Al Basirah 01/11/2011, 19:49  

subhanallah..

zulaikha 02/11/2011, 05:52  

errkk...blog yg popular ni pun baru received minimum rm50? huhu..

tp, bgus lah, sy pun nak buang those nuff ads lah. xde manfaat pun actually.

dah lme x bukak akaun cek pun, biar je dlm blog. so far, xde la ape2 ads yg teruk2.

tp, terima kasih atas perkongsian. sy akan usahakan untuk membuang nuff ads tu.

bon voyage, nuff ads!!

(:

Primadona 02/11/2011, 09:48  

Salam.

Its true that some of us is really concern about the ads that has been advertise by nuff.Saya pun dah lama buang nuff ad dan sekarang tak guna langsung dah nuffnang tu.

Pada saya depends dengan niat dan tujuan kita sendiri kenapa mahu berblog.Sekadar suka-suka ataupun mahu jana side income.

Kalau nak dapat side income Innity,adverlets pun boleh guna selain dari Nuffnang.

Yeah.Teruskan usahamu dalam menghasilkan karya yang lebih awesome.Your blog is so-so like my citarasa and more reflect like my blog. :)

enornimous 02/11/2011, 17:49  

I think u shudnt say "goddamn"..its not a good word...cheers for u leaving nuffnang..may Allah bless ur decision akhi

Anonymous 02/11/2011, 22:52  

insyaAllah, menarik tuh kalau buat smthing yang islami. tapi saya bukan IT man, but we surely can work something on it(i mean both it and IT :p)

ramai jer ikhwah yang pandai IT nih kan?

perhaps, boleh pasarkan banyak bahan iklan bermutu, sperti books, halal foods, program melancong tempat2 sirah, etc etc

well, i am open this idea for more discussion sekiranya inche gabana berminat.

elise 03/11/2011, 16:59  

stakat ni sy x penah pla.. atau maybe sy x prasan.. bgus la tu ^^ klu ble jgn berada dlm zon kelabu2..

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"Sesungguhnya Allah membeli dari orang-orang mukmin, baik diri mahupun harta mereka dengan memberikan syurga kepada mereka. Mereka berperang di jalan Allah; sehingga mereka membunuh atau terbunuh...

Maka bergembiralah dengan jual beli yang telah kamu lakukan itu, dan demikian itulah kemenangan yang Agung."

-At Taubah, 9:111

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP